Insuring Recreational Vehicles

Insurance for Recreational Vehicles Question:

Does my homeowners insurance policy cover my recreational vehicle [golf cart, ATV, snowmobile, trail bike, go-kart, motorized toy car?


Congratulations on your purchase! Be sure to read the instructions and safety manuals carefully so you can enjoy many hours of safe family fun with your new vehicle. We're glad you thought to ask us about recreational vehicle insurance, as your homeowners policy may not provide all the coverage you need to protect the value of your vehicle or cover your legal obligations if the vehicle injures someone.

Your homeowners policy contains specific provisions that limit coverage on all types of motor vehicles, including recreational vehicles. These provisions vary from one policy to another, so we will need to know exactly what type of recreational vehicles you own and then provide you with information based on the specific policy you purchased. You may need a different type of homeowners policy or an additional special policy to provide the appropriate coverage for you.

If you own a golf cart, for example, some policies do not cover damage to the vehicle at all unless you pay additional premium. Other policies may cover some types of damage for a limited amount, but a special policy may be needed to provide full coverage for the full value of the vehicle. With regard to coverage for your legal obligations in case you injure someone while operating the golf cart, some policies only cover while using the vehicle for golfing purposes on a golf course.

Other recreational vehicles have similar coverage issues, depending on the type of vehicles you own.

Your agent will review your homeowners policy and let you know what kind of coverage you have now and what kind of additional coverage might be needed.

Swingle, Collins & Associates specializes in recreational vehicle insurance coverage The descriptions of coverages listed on this website are brief and subject to the provisions, limitations, and exclusions that can only be expressed in your policy and related endorsements. For additional information of how Swingle, Collins & Associates can assist in meeting your coverage needs for recreational vehicle insurance please contact your dedicated risk manager to discuss the benefits and services of personal insurance coverage.

The information contained on this page is provided for informational and educational purposes only. It contains general information on insurance issues and may not reflect the most current developments in insurance coverage and is unlikely to apply in all factual scenarios. The information does not include all the terms, coverages, exclusions, limitations or conditions that may be contained in the actual insurance contract language. The policies themselves must be read for those details. Sample policy forms will be made available upon reasonable request.