Grill Fire on Balcony

An apartment tenant kept a propane gas grill on his balcony for grilling. He failed to turn off the burner after grilling and it was left on low for 15 hours. The grill's heat melted the gas line leading to the propane tank and caused it to explode. The fire quickly spread up the wall of the building and into the attic and roof. The building was soon engulfed in flames and ultimately became a total loss. Loss Amount: $2,000,000. We recommend prohibiting outdoor cooking, firepits and other open-flame appliances from being used (and even stored) near all combustible balconies or decks and within 25 feet of buildings,