Top 10 Restaurant Insurance Coverages

If you’re like most restaurateurs, one of the last things on your mind is your business insurance. When you first started you probably got the best insurance quote you could find to appease your new lender and landlord and went on to more pressing matters. Like, how can I attract more patrons to my restaurant? Then, every year when the renewal arrives you update the line item on your budget and move to make the more variable decisions on which produce vendor is going to be pennies less than the other. If that is you, this will help you determine if you are holding the proper coverage on your restaurant insurance policy.

Restaurant Insurance Coverage

The top ten restaurant insurance coverages are:

  1. Property Insurance Coverage for physical loss or damage to buildings owned and/or business property.
  2. General Liability Insurance Coverage for any accidents that occur due to negligence of owner or staff.
  3. Worker’s Compensation Insurance Coverage for protecting business from job-related injuries that result in employee’s lost wages and medical treatment occurring in the course of scope of employment.
  4. Food Contamination Insurance Coverage for reputational damages and losses owed from illness and death from a food or beverage contamination.
  5. Business Income Insurance Coverage for loss of income the restaurant experiences after an insured loss occurs.
  6. Employee Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) Coverage protects restaurant if charged with wrongful termination, harassment or discrimination.
  7. Hired Auto & Non-Owned Auto Coverage will compensate for damages if you or employee caused an auto injury or accident while driving for business.
  8. Employee Dishonesty Coverage for loss due to employee theft.
  9. Liquor Liability Coverage for any loss occurring due to liability for a liquor-related accident.
  10. Off-Premises Power Failure Coverage for financial loss due to lack of incoming electricity from a loss occurring away from the business.

Restaurant insurance programs need to be specifically tailored to meet the needs of each individual restaurant. If you are unsure if you have coverage, At Swingle Collins we will help restaurant owners and operators understand their current policy and make recommendations where gaps may exist.

Swingle, Collins & Associates specializes in restaurant insurance coverage. The descriptions of coverages listed on this website are brief and subject to the provisions, limitations, and exclusions that can only be expressed in your policy and related endorsements. For additional information of how Swingle, Collins & Associates can assist in meeting your coverage needs for food contamination insurance, liquor liability, or business income insurance please contact your dedicated risk manager to discuss the benefits and services of commercial restaurant insurance coverage.

The information contained on this page is provided for informational and educational purposes only. It contains general information on insurance issues and may not reflect the most current developments in insurance coverage and is unlikely to apply in all factual scenarios. The information does not include all the terms, coverages, exclusions, limitations or conditions that may be contained in the actual insurance contract language. The policies themselves must be read for those details. Sample policy forms will be made available upon reasonable request.