Insurance Claims & Public Adjusters - Dallas

Insurance Claims & Public Adjusters - Dallas Has your building suffered significant damage in a recent hail storm? Have you been contacted by a public adjuster? Are you wondering whether or not to hire a public adjuster to deal with the insurance companies involved in paying your claim? Here are a few things you should know about Insurance Claims & Public Adjusters when dealing with these types of losses.

Texas weather is unpredictable, and the claims process can be overwhelming. Here are a few things to keep in mind when you report a claim to your property insurer: the insurance company assigns a licensed claims adjuster to walk you through the process of evaluating and paying your claim. This person is either an employee of the insurance company or an independent contractor hired by and paid by the insurance company. In either case, it is his or her job to settle your claim promptly and fairly.

After a well-publicized weather event, such as a tornado or hail storm, local business owners are often contacted directly by a number of service providers, such as restoration contractors, roofers and public adjusters, who are seeking to lend their assistance. Your Swingle Collins agent can advise you on handling contracts – most likely urging you to not enter such contracts lightly.

With regard to restoration contractors and roofers, it has been our experience over the years that policyholders are generally more satisfied if they use local firms with a history of doing business in our area. Swingle Collins has served the Dallas, Plano, Southlake and surrounding areas for over thirty years. In that time we have garnered a reputation for being trusted insurance advisors. Our agents have the expertise to ensure that your property is taken care of as if it were their very own. We understand that once the work is done, local contractors are better suited to respond to the property owner if additional damage is discovered or the work needs to be re-done. Our agents are happy to make a thoughtful recommendation should you ever need a third part service.

A public adjuster is a licensed adjuster who acts as an intermediary between you and the insurance company to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company. A public adjuster is required by state law to execute a written contract with you before beginning work and must be compensated by collecting a fee from you, typically a percentage of the claim settlement. By law, the fee can't be more than 10 percent of the amount paid by the insurance company to settle your claim.

Based on our observations after weather-related claims events in the past, we believe you will be well-served if you allow your insurance company the opportunity to fulfill their promise to you before you sign up with a public adjuster and sign away a percentage of your settlement. On a very small number of claims, it may be advantageous to hire a public adjuster later in the claim settlement process if you reach an impasse with your insurance company.

Swingle, Collins & Associates specializes in commercial and personal property and casualty insurance coverage in Dallas, Southlake, Highland Park, and Plano. The descriptions of coverage listed on this website are brief and subject to the provisions, limitations, and exclusions that can only be expressed in your policy and related endorsements. For additional information of how Swingle, Collins & Associates can assist in meeting your coverage needs for property and casualty insurance please contact your dedicated risk manager to discuss the benefits and services of personal homeowners insurance coverage.

The information contained on this page is provided for informational and educational purposes only. It contains general information on insurance issues and may not reflect the most current developments in insurance coverage and is unlikely to apply in all factual scenarios. The information does not include all the terms, coverage, exclusions, limitations or conditions that may be contained in the actual insurance contract language. The policies themselves must be read for those details. Sample policy forms will be made available upon reasonable request.